Cross-platform play is now a new trend for many games nowadays as it is a feature that seamlessly connects players from every platform together, enabling them to play their games without any boundaries found in the past generations.
Recently, Blizzard Entertainment’s Aaron Keller has confirmed via the development update that Overwatch will be supporting cross-play between PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch and PC. Interested players can connect their accounts with their Battle.net IDs starting from now.
There will be two main matchmaking pools: one for the PC players, a group of PC and console players and another one will be for console players solely. PC players will not be able to toggle off the feature; however, console players can choose if they want to enable cross-play between consoles or only their particular console.
Here’s more details shared via blog post:
Creating a Battle.net Account
- Visit Battle.net
- Create a free Battle.net account
- Once you create your Battle.net account, go to your Account Settings
- Click on the “Connections” section under Account Settings and link your console
Linking Your Console Game and Battle.net Accounts
These instructions apply to the in-game steps console players will need to take once Cross-Play is available.
- Launch the game on your system
- Press the confirmation button to progress through the Overwatch welcome screen
- You will be presented with an alpha-numeric code and a QR code
- The alpha-numeric code can be entered at blizzard.com/link
- The QR code may be scanned with a mobile app to take you to the linking webpage, which will be pre-populated with the code provided in-game
- Log in with your Battle.net account credentials to finalize the connection between your console game and Battle.net accounts
- You will receive a message in-game that notifies that your account is now successfully connected
Please also note that cross-progression will not be available.
Overwatch is now available on PlayStation 4, Xbox ONE, Nintendo Switch and PC.